Vocational Rehabilitation

Learning the Job.

We help people with disabilities find and keep jobs.

Our staff provide vocational training to help our clients establish good work habits, improve vocational strengths, eliminate undesirable work behaviors and move into sheltered, supported, or competitive employment. We provide the following four steps to successful employment:

    • Vocational Evaluation
    • Work Adjustment Training
    • Placement Services
    • Regular Work / Sheltered Employment.


Vocational evaluation takes from four to six weeks. We see how you work, what you like or dislike, what you do well and what you do not do well.

Work adjustment training typically takes from four to six months and could take up to the maximum of eighteen months. Staff will help you work on issues, problems, or to continue to develop your good work habits.

Placement services help those with the skills, desire, and motivation to find employment. Our staff will work with you and your employer to insure that you will be able keep your employment and continue to be an asset for your employer.

Regular work or sheltered employment is available at START Subcontracting and Lewis Vinyl for clients that have not been successful with outside employment. We hold a subminimum Department of Labor certificate.

Who is Eligible?

  • Must be 18 years of age or older,
  • must have a diagnosed Developmental disability,
  • must exhibit behavior that does not constitute a threat to self or others, and
  • must meet Medicare Waiver eligibility.

What is a developmental disability?

Developmental disability is a term used to describe life-long, disibilities attributable to mental and/or physical or combination of mental and physical impairments, manifested prior to age 18. The term is used most commonly to refer to disabilities affecting daily functioning in three or more of the following areas:

  • capacity for independent living
  • economic self-sufficiency
  • learning
  • mobility
  • receptive and expressive language
  • self-care
  • self-direction

How do we apply?

The Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) may be able to provide you with assistance or help you plan for your future needs. You must first meet with an Independent Service Coordination Agency (ISC) to see if you are eligible for services.

Let IDHS know about your need for services by signing up with the State of Illinois Developmental Disabilities web site.

Or, contact:

Southern Illinois Case Coordination Services

Developmental Disabilities

519 S Locust St, PO Box 588
Centralia, IL 62801

Phone: (618) 532-4300
TTY: (618) 532-4300
Toll Free: (800) 828-7422